Down Syndrome South Africa
Who we are
Down Syndrome South Africa (DSSA) is a voluntary association registered with the Department of Social Development, Non-Profit Directorate. Membership is comprised of DSA Associations, National Self-Advocates, Honorary and Co-Opted Members.
We are affiliated and work closely with both international and national organisations:
Down Syndrome International (DSi)
Africa Down Syndrome Network
South Africa Disability Alliance
Aims and Objectives
1. To provide information and facilitate communication among Down syndrome organisations in South Africa and other role players in the field of intellectual disabilities
2. To promote, recognise and encourage the development of organisations in South Africa, working to benefit persons with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.
3. To promote public awareness and improve attitudes towards persons with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.
4. To promote the principle of inclusion of persons with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities into the community, socially, educationally and in the workplace.
5. To initiate and support selected national projects.
6. To support ethical and relevant research by all bodies and individuals into Down syndrome wherever possible.
7. To correspond with bodies or individuals nationally and internationally on any matter touching the interest of Down syndrome and other intellectual disability.
8. To encourage the development of programmes and services that may be appropriate and beneficial for persons with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.
9. To lobby, influence policy and legislation impacting on the lives of persons with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.