Down Syndrome South Afica

Disability Grants

View Printer Friendly Page

Government Grants

A grant is money that is given by the government to people who are eligible for social assistance such as: 1) A person is entitled to the appropriate social assistance if he or she -

  • Is eligible in terms of section 6,7,8,9,10,11,12 or 13 of the government gazette June 2004.
  • Subject to section 17, is resident in the Republic;
  • Is a South African citizen or is a member of a group or category of persons prescribed by the Minister, with the concurrence of the Minister of Finance, by notice of the Gazette;
  • Complies with any additional requirements or conditions prescribed in terms of subsection (2) and
  • Applies for social assistance in accordance with section 14 (1).

The Minister may prescribe additional requirements or conditions in respect of;

  • income thresholds;
  • means testing;
  • age limits, disabilities and care dependency;
  • proof of and measures to establish or verify identity, gender, age, citizenship, family relationships, care dependency, disabilities, foster child and war veterans’ status;
  • forms, procedures and processes for applications and payments;
  • measures to prevent fraud and abuse.

Care Dependency Grant

  • A person is, subject to section 5, eligible for a care dependency grant if he or she is a parent, primary care giver or foster parent of a child who requires and services due to his or her physical or mental disability.
  • A person contemplated in paragraph (a) is not eligible for such a grant if the child is cared for on a 24 hour basis for a period exceeding six months in an institution that is funded by the state.

A person must be between 1 and 18 years of age and will receive a monthly amount.

Disability Grant.

A person is, subject to section 5, eligible for a disability grant, if he or she

  • has attained the prescribed age; and
  • is, owing to a physical or mental disability, unfit to obtain by virtue of any service, employment or profession the means needed to enable him or her to provide for his or her maintenance.

A person must be 18 years and over and will receive a monthly amount.

Where to apply for a grant.

Families can apply at the government welfare offices or Department of Social Development offices. For more information about these grants, phone the Helpline on 0800 601 011.

What you will need to apply for a grant

  • Proof of income
  • Birth certificate for the person that you are applying for
  • A bar coded identity document (and a copy certified)
  • A death certificate if one or both of the child’s parents are dead
  • A marriage certificate or divorce order.

There is NO charge when making an application for a grant.

For more information regarding social grants please go to

Free Health Care for Disabled People at Hospital Level

The Minister of Health, in her budget speech, on 13 May 2003, indicated that free health care for people with disabilities would be implemented on 1 July 2009. She further indicated that the services would include outpatient and inpatient hospital services. This service should be seen in the broader context of social security and poverty relief – spreading the risk and subsidizing the poor. However the question comes into play as to how much Free Health Care is given. We at DSSA need to ensure that it is QUALITY and more than just “basic” health care given. In many instances babies with DS have been refused life saving heart operations because of their disability.

Click here for more information from the South African Social Security Agency